If you are into digital marketing, you must have heard about mobile SEO. Modern search engines like Google and Bing give importance to mobile SEO, so it is important to make an existing website mobile friendly to take advantage of mobile SEO.
Actually, mobile SEO is all about improving the user experience for the mobile visitors of your website. If you know how to make your website mobile friendly and you implement the strategy, Google will rank your website higher for mobile users.
Why Mobile Friendly Website is Important?
It is important to make a mobile-friendly website in 2021 to reach those users who are using the internet on their mobile devices. According to a survey, the following points make it important to make your existing website mobile friendly to take advantage of mobile SEO.
- 70% of mobile internet usage: According to this survey, those who browse the internet in their daily life, spend 70% of their internet time on mobile devices or tablets.
- Mobile-friendly sites have 74% returning users: It is easy to understand that if people are happy with your website’s design and user interface when they are accessing it from their mobile, they will most likely come back to your site as well. The study shows that 74% of users come back to a mobile-friendly website that can increase the leads as well.
- 60% of users think positively about a mobile-friendly site: When someone accesses your website he makes a decision about your business. The website user interface can make or break the user opinion about your business. If a website is optimized for mobile devices, 60% of the users improve their opinion about your business.
- 67% of users prefer to buy from a mobile-optimized site: Since it is easy to use a mobile-optimized website on a small screen, so 67% of users love to buy from the sites which are optimized for mobile screen.
- Quick crawling and indexing: With the latest Google algorithms, it is a known fact that Google prioritizes the websites for crawling and indexing which are mobile-friendly. So, if you optimize your website for the mobile screen, you will be noticed by the search engines earlier than your competitors.
- Higher rankings in Google: Since Google considers the user interface and mobile-friendliness while ranking websites, so you are most likely to get higher rankings in Google if your website is easy to use on a mobile screen.
According to many SEO experts, the above-mentioned points are good enough to convince any business or company to make an existing website mobile friendly and take extra advantage of mobile SEO.
How to Check If Your Website is Mobile-Friendly?
It is not difficult to check if your website is mobile-friendly or not. You can simply check by accessing your website on mobile devices. If you can read the text easily, tap the menu items without any problem, and have a good view, then your website is mobile-friendly.
But if you don’t get an idea by this, you can simply ask Google as well for this. Just access this Google’s mobile-friendly test page and enter your website URL.
How to Make Your Website Mobile-Friendly?
If you want to optimize your website for a mobile interface and want to make it a mobile-friendly site or if you want to create a new mobile-friendly site then you should follow these simple points.
Make a Response Design
A responsive website design is a 1st thing that you should consider while creating a website in 2021. A response website design is an interface that changes automatically according to the screen size.
For example, if you are browsing the website on a desktop computer, you might see the thumbnail and text side by side. While when you see the same website on a mobile device, it is possible that you see the thumbnail on the top and text under it or vice versa.
In this strategy, you are not going to create a separate version of the website for mobile devices. In fact, your content remains the same and there is only one copy of your website. But it will load in different ways depending on the size of the screen.
For many WordPress websites, you might have noticed that there is no sidebar visible when you are accessing the site on your mobile. Or the sidebar will load at the end of the content area of the website. Whereas, on the desktop PC, the sidebar will be on the right or left side of the content area.
Here is a desktop view of MobileFun.Pk
This is a mobile-friendly view on a mobile device of MobileFun.Pk
Make Large Button Sizes
The button sizes on your mobile-friendly website should be large enough so that visitors can tap on that easily. When a user is browsing on the internet, it is easy to click any size button with the mouse.
But, this is not the case when the user has to tap on a specific button on a mobile screen. Usually, the screen is small and it is difficult to tap on the small buttons with the finger. So, if you design a large button size on your website then it will be very easy for the visitor to tap on that button.
It is also advisable to keep some distance between the clickable buttons.
Improve Website’s Load Time
The load time of a website also affects mobile SEO. Sites that take a long time to load have a high bounce rate and sometimes users don’t even wait to load the site completely if the site is loading slow.
A website that loads instantly on mobile devices performs the best as visitor wants to navigate to different pages quickly. You can check the page speed of your website from Google’s page speed insights.
In the picture below you can see what should be the ideal page speed of your website to be mobile-friendly.
There are different ways you can adopt to make your website load faster. Some of these are as follows:
- Compress Images and CSS: Many people don’t consider compressing the images but they don’t know that it can improve the website load time tremendously. You can even use different plugins on WordPress to compress the images. The JetPack plugin can also help in improving the load time by its lazy load image feature.
- Use Accelerated Mobile Pages Feature: WordPress offers a plugin that is called AMP that can help in improving the load time of your website by blocking all the slow scripts on your website. If you install and setup this plugin correctly on your website then when a user searches on a mobile device, your website will load with just a blink of an eye. It will be too fast, and this plugin is also recommended by the Google Adsense community as well.
- Use CDN: It is also recommended to use the CDN service so that your content delivered to users from their nearest servers. You can read this article to learn how to speed up your website with CDN?
- Choose Best Hosting Provider: If you try everything but not able to speed up your website, then you need to consider another hosting provider. Cheap hosting services can’t provide you better load time. If you want to load your website faster, then you can check Bluehost hosting which is also recommended by WordPress itself.
Use Large Font Size
Make sure that the text on the website is easily readable while browsing from the mobile device. If a visitor can’t read the text on your website, he will go back and find some other source to get the relevant information. Or he might try another company to buy the products or services he was looking for.
This can be done by choosing large font size. Try to use at least 14px of font size on your website and then test it on the mobile screen to get an idea of how it looks like. You can change the size a bit for best performance.
Also, try to choose the standard fonts so that the user’s mobile browsers don’t need to download a font you are using on your site. If a mobile browser needs to download the font, it will slow down the site loading.
Easy to Access Menu
Most of the mobile-friendly websites have a special menu for the mobile version of the site. Instead, the same version of the site when accessed on a mobile device it shows a different menu button.
The menu items should be separated from each other so that users can easily tap on the right menu item.
This can be done by choosing the response design theme for your website.
Don’t Use Flash
Don’t use flash on your website at all. Try to avoid it as much as possible even for the desktop site as well. There are many browsers that don’t support flash by default.
If you use flash content on your website then it will be your biggest mistake as Google also doesn’t like flash. Your website will load slowly and it will have no SEO advantage.
Moreover, Android and iOS both mobile OS don’t support flash websites. So, if you have flash content on your website, it will slow down the speed on mobile devices and the content will not be visible on any of the mobiles.
Ask any SEO expert, he will tell you the same that flash is not good for search engine optimization and for the site load time.
Avoid Pop Up Ads
Honestly speaking, we don’t like the pop-up ads on any website whether accessing it on desktop or on the small screen of the mobile. But when it appears on the mobile device, it is extra annoyed as it is difficult to find the small x button to close the pop-up ad.
Just like us, many other users also hate pop-up ads when they appear on mobile devices. If they find one, they will go back and find some other website that doesn’t annoy them with these useless pop-up ads.
From the above discussion, it is very clear why it is important to create a mobile-friendly website. For better mobile SEO, a better user experience is required on the mobile screen.
If a website is mobile-friendly it will rank in Google easily as compared to a non-mobile-friendly website.
Moreover, if you want to know how to make a mobile-friendly website, you can check our 8 points that help in creating a website that is optimized for mobile devices.